Properly diagnosed, designed, and custom fabricated mouthguards are essential in the prevention of athletic oral/facial injuries. A properly fitted mouthguard must be protective, comfortable, resilient, tear resistant, odorless, tasteless, not bulky, cause minimal interference to speaking and breathing, and (possibly the most important criteria) have excellent retention, fit, and sufficient thickness in critical areas. Presently, over 90% of the mouthguards worn are of the variety bought at sporting good stores. The other 10% are of the custom made variety diagnosed and designed by a health professional (dentist and/or athletic trainer). We highly recommend a custom made mouthguard, for the very best in oral/facial protection as well as concussion deterrence.